Sunday, February 28, 2010

SUNDAY COOKING FOR WEEKDAY LUNCHES

I love to cook on Sundays.  I find that it's a great way to wind down from the weekend and also prepare for the week ahead.  I’ve gotten in the habit of bringing my lunch to work because if my food choice has already been made, I’m less likely to go out and eat something I shouldn’t, especially right now when I am really trying to watch everything I put in my mouth.

My mother is an eclectic chef and while she isn’t professionally trained, you would never know the difference.  Her food is amazing and will please any pallet: Southern, Spanish, Greek, etc.  My latest craving from her kitchen is a Tibeten soup packed with healthy ingredients.  It is filling, flavorful, low in fat and a perfect lunch in the middle of a freezing Colorado February.  It’s also incredibly easy to make.

She learned this recipe from a monk named Jamjung who was traveling through Oregon several years ago with about 15 other monks.  She hosted them at her home while they were touring the US and a fabulous friendship has since evolved.  She now knows a variety of Tibeten recipes and on occasion, does an incredible spread. 

Soup Ingredients:
½ - ¾ Lbs. Beef – preferably tri-tip
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 Large Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 ½ tbs Fresh Ginger
1 Large Jalapeno
1 Large Tomato
1 Bunch of Spinach
¾ Lbs. Daikon Radish
Salt & Pepper to taste

Heat ½ of the olive oil in a large stockpot.  Rough chop the onion, fine chop the garlic, ginger and jalapeno and put in the pot on a medium heat.  Sautee for about 10 minutes or until the onion turns clear.  Chop the tomato and beef into small cubes and add the tomato to the onion mix on the stove.    Let the vegetables cook together on medium heat for another 10 minutes.  Remove from pan.  In the empty pot add meat, generously salt and pepper and cook until browned.   Put the vegetables back in to the pot and stir in between 1-2 quarts of water.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour.  Add salt to taste.


While this is cooking, peel and slice the dakion radish and set aside.   Rinse spinach, remove stems and rough chop.  



After one hour, add daikon radish and continue to simmer.  


After a ½ hour, turn off the heat, add spinach and cover. 


Sibeh Topping
1 Large Tomato
1 Large Jalapeno
1/8 Cup Red Pepper Flakes
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Cup water
1 Bunch Cilantro

Now for the best part.  Sibeh is a topping – similar to a dipping sauce.  Place chopped tomato, chopped jalapeno, red pepper flakes, garlic and water in a food processor.   


Top with cilantro (stems removed).  


Blend for about a minute or until smooth.


To serve, put soup into a bowl and top with Sibeh and a few sprigs of Cilantro.  The Sibeh is pretty spicy, so use in moderation.  My mother reminded me that the Tibetens would include fettuccine pasta but since I’m trying to avoid carbs, I leave this out J  


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment