Saturday, February 20, 2010

THE BEGINNING


When we first got engaged, I was totally overwhelmed.  Jimmy proposed to me on the beach in Cabo San Lucas, the day before New Years Eve - which happens to be my favorite holiday and the mark of two years (officially) together.  It was an amazing vacation but reality hit hard on our way back to Denver on January 4th.  The flight was flawless - the ladies from The Hills happened to be on our plane so Jimmy's head kept bobbing up, down and sideways to get a glimpse.  This stalking from afar kept him occupied for the majority of the flight duration. 

We landed in Dallas, TX and had approximately 2 hours to kill before boarding again.  After wandering around the airport for a bit, I found myself standing in an airport kiosk looking at bridal magazines.  I burst into tears!  Because this isn’t completely out of the norm, Jimmy looked at me with bewilderment (as he usually does when this happens), gave me a hug and proceeded to take each magazine from the shelf and walked up to the cash register.  Love him!

My initial thought process was a complete cluster.  I had a million and a half ideas, themes and color schemes but no real direction.  So I started to read – magazines, blogs, vendor websites - anything I could get my hands on.  My mind started to clear and I was back to being an excited wedding planner / bride-to-be.

After scouring through pages and pages of magazines, one of the most helpful tips I learned was to meet with three vendors in each category (categories include: photographer, coordinator, caterer, etc).  No more, no less.  This encourages a thoughtful selection process without wasting time and to avoid being super stressed.  Be prepared when going to these meetings - you have already done your research so think about what you are looking for.  Bring photos, talk about your likes/dislikes and try to have as much decided as possible.  For instance, if you are meeting with a photographer, know what pricing package you would select (available through most websites), and discuss a potential timeline for the day-of.  Photographer blogs are a fantastic way to see a portfolio of their work.  Happy reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment