Wednesday, March 17, 2010

INVITATION INSPIRATION

Figuring out the wording for wedding invitations can be a bit of a task, primarily because there are so many options to choose from.  My parents are divorced and our wedding is a pretty casual affair so I didn’t want to confine myself to standard copy and style.  Once you embark on this step, you will be shocked to discover how many ways there are to invite people to your wedding.

I ended up goggling frequently used invitation copy, which led me to the website Offbeat Bride (a fantastic resource).  The blog headline was: “wedding invitation wording that won’t make you barf”.  Perfect!  One of my favorites:

We laugh, we dream, we love
And on this day, we marry
Together with our parents, we joyfully invite you to our wedding celebration

A few other copy contenders were:

Please join us
to share our joy and support our love
As we exchange vows and are united
in the commitment of marriage

Because your love and friendship
have guided and inspired us,
we invite you to join us as we exchange
our wedding vows

The rest is pretty much by-the-book:

Day, date, month
Year
Time (At 5 o’clock in the evening)

Location Name
Location Address
City & State

Dinner, cocktails and dancing to follow

Two friends are designing our invites (a husband and wife team), which will include an RSVP post card along with an Events card that outlines where to be throughout the weekend, including a map.  I actually just got the design and oh my goodness am I obsessed.  Amanda & Jack Schuler are uber talented and I really couldn’t be happier.

Our wedding is adults only and while it is clearly stated on our website, I wasn’t sure if I should reiterate that somewhere within the invitation.  After reading several etiquette posts that advised against it, I had to trust word of mouth, our website and how the invites would be addressed.  The envelope should clarify who is invited: Amy and Adam Smith vs. The Smith Family, however I’ve heard many horror stories when it comes to this portion of the process!   


Some of my favorite designers/designs from top: Mavora, A Day In May, Alee & Press, CECI New York, Amanda & Jack, BirdDog Press 

No comments:

Post a Comment